I am an absolute sucker for unusual words – you know, the Pinterest/Tumblr kind of words that pop up every now and then, describing something you love in a word you have never heard before. So, as I haven’t posted in a couple of days and as it is now almost 2am (and not a wink of sleep in sight), I thought I’d compile a Top Ten list of my favourite unusual words.
- Logolepsy – a fascination or obsession with words.
- Clinquant – glittering with gold or tinsel.
- Petrichor – the smell of the first rain after a long period of dry weather.
- Feuillemort – having the colour of a faded leaf.
- Aesthete – a person who is appreciative of a sensitive to the beauty of art or nature.
- Acatalepsy – the incomprehensibility of all things.
- Librocubicularist – a person who reads in bed.
- Redamancy – the act of loving in return.
- Forelsket – the euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love (Norweigan.)
- Occhiolism – the awareness of the smallness of your perspective.
So there you have it. I adore these words and their meanings. They really appeal to the romantic side of me (yes, I am a romantic – perhaps a post for another time). They make the world feel so much more beautiful than it is, and they really help me to see what beauty is hidden beneath all the bad.
Have you got any words of your own that you love? Let me know, I’d love to add them to my list!
Photo Credit | Elena Morelli